The MFF Blog

Monday, February 25, 2008

CR - FW1 Prawning 23/02/08

I have 3 friends who have never done prawning before in their lives, not to mention fishing. After hearing lots about both from me, they asked me to bring them to try prawning and I agreed. So there we were at 5pm on Saturday at the Pasir Ris Farmway 1 prawn pond. I chose this pond as I hoped that they would be luck enough to catch a couple of tagged prawns and get cash prizes.


If you catch a medium sized prawn between 6pm to 12am, check its tail - if there's a coloured staple, you've won a cash prize!




As they have absolutely zero experience, we bought only 2 rods to be shared among us 4 for 3 hours. I started off by giving them the basic to adjusting the height of the float, baiting and watching for the movements of the float. They were excited and eager to start but it was very slow at first, we caught only 3 prawns the 1st hour! There were many bites but they lost the prawns as they could not get the hang of striking at the right time with the right amount of strength.


The biggest prawn we caught that day, too bad there was no tag!





Fortunately, things speeded up a little in the 2nd hour. I found myself running to and fro, helping them to unhook the prawns as the waving pincers looked rather scary to the 3 girls. I asked them to hold the line while I grabbed the pincers, broke them off, unhooked the prawn then threw it into the keep net. They were really happy when they landed bigger prawns, unfortunately, none were tagged...


Total catch. I had started cutting the prawns up when I remembered I had yet to take a photo!








At 730pm, the sun started to set and the action slowed especially when the girls found it very difficult to watch the float properly in the rapidly darkening surroundings. Leaving them to continue trying, I starting a fire at one of the BBQ pits available there beside the pond. The prawns were washed and cut up and soon, cooking on the grill!










For the recipe, go to http://myfishingfrenzy.com/bbq_prawn.php

At 8pm, we returned the rods and started eating. The total catch was only 26 prawns but we went away happy. My friends said they could now tell people they gone prawning before!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin