The MFF Blog

Friday, September 25, 2009

Episode Sotong at HB Kelong 17/9-20/9

One of my favourite activities at Sibu kelongs is eging. Sotongs can be caught anytime of the day, but I usually will start only when the sky darkens. For this trip, because we arrived around midnight, the first thing I did after setting up was of course, eging!

















1st catch - a nice arrow!


Compared to MFF's previous trip to HB kelong in April and May, the size of sotongs at Sibu have reduced drastically. The average was 'hand'-sized back then, but now they are mostly as big as 2 of my fingers.  I suppose it is now the off-peak period for sotongs...

















If only all 38 were of the bigger size... Hehehe!



Of the total 38 I caught from 3 nights worth of eging, only 6 were of reasonable size. 35 out of 38 of these sotongs were caught using 1 single lure - a size 2.0 Yamashita. I believe it was its small size that allowed me to catch so many. Even our favourite size 2.5 Yozuri shrimp hunter lost by such a wide margin! Do be aware, however, that the spikes on the size 2.0 Yamashita is smaller and much weaker than the bigger sizes. I had to bend the spikes back once in a while, and I had a couple of misses which was probably due to big sotongs slipping off slanted spikes!

















The Yozuri finally registers a catch, and it's a baktao!



Personally, I still prefer the Yozuri as I think its action in water is more realistic and natural than the Yamashita. However, the fact that the smallest size available is 2.5, and that even this size is often out of stock, means that we will be stocking up on the Yamashitas too...

















The battered Yamashita - notice the fabric torn by the many grasping sotong tentacles!


Last but not least, let me end the post with this photo which will remind us that no matter how we try to point the head of the sotong away, there will be times that we will 'kanna' from the sotong! Hahaha...






















My 'inked' feet, and the culprit...



0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin