The MFF Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ah Ngan Kelong CR - Cephalopod

Cephalopod -  Family of squid, cuttlefish and octopus.

Finally am starting to talk about my Sibu kelong trip at Ah Ngan's from 10th to 12th Dec. First let me show off my biggest cephalopod catch till date.

















Bakdao caught using size 3 Yamashita (box)



I weighed it and it was 2.4 kg on the digital scale, which means my placing is still behind the 3 kg ones caught by WT in Oct and Nigel in Nov, both at Hotboys. Nevermind, I'll still have a chance to catch one during our Christmas trip! Kekeke...

The other interesting thingI would like to share with our readers is this.





















Reef squid egg cases.


Our friend KK was trying to retrieve his line which was 'sangkot', obviously having hooked onto something heavy at the bottom. When it finally came up, we were surprised to see a rusty old metal dish-dryer with chains of reef squid egg cases hanging like Christmas ornaments!

Call me suaku, but I had never seen these before, so imagine my great surprise to see tiny baby squids, about 5mm long, swimming in those translucent sacs! To save these babies, we quickly lowered the whole contraption back into the sea at a corner that people are less likely to drop their lines. Unfortunately, some of the sacs were torn during retrieval, so I quickly put them into a container of seawater to revive them.

















One of the reef squid babies.




We were very glad that they could survive out of the sacs, and could even squirt ink already! After about 30 minutes, I poured everything back, keeping my fingers crossed that they could escape being eaten...


Ok, that's all for today. Don't worry, you will read about the fish soon!



0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin