The MFF Blog

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Please, no more rubbish in the sea...

Just want to leave our readers with some food for thought till our next CR, which will probably appear on the 18th or 19th of November!

I try my very best not to litter, especially when I'm out at sea. Of course, there are times when I have no control over the rubbish I created - like when a boatman or a kelong staff dumps the rubbish we carefully bagged... into the sea.

















Picture of plastic confetti from www.nytimes.com



I personally feel that biodegradable stuff like unfinished food is ok, but not plastic. Instead of decomposing, plastic will only breakdown into smaller and smaller pieces. Evidence of trash causing harm to sea creatures is well documented, but did you know that the tissue of certain fish contain some of the same chemicals as plastic?

Imagine these toxins being transfered to larger and larger fish and then back to ourselves!



0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin