The MFF Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Kayak fever

Decided to give kayak fishing a try. When my friend who owns a double seater kayak and asked me along, I accepted his invitation straight away. Actually I was tempted by the idea of harvesting fresh mussels from the sea structures. I tried those fresh mussels a couple of times before and they were fabulous! But that was many years back whereby I could still swim to the middle of the sea to harvest them. But now, those reachable areas are all barren already.

Due to some hiccups, it was around 8am plus when we reached the spot.  We only had a few hours of fishing before the sun became unbearable. I was in charge of harvesting the mussels while my friend was fishing for bait fish. He would hook up a bait fish and park his other rod while continue his bait fish hunting. It was not long before his bait fish was taken by a queenfish. Subsequently, the bait fish was taken at an average of about 5-10 minutes, all suspected to be queenies. The bite rate was quite frenzied!

But due to our clumsiness on the kayak with limited space, the hook sets were not proper most of the time. There were about 6-7 takes altogether but we only managed to land 2 before police coast guards came to disturb us and we decided to call it a day. I tried luring for them on the surface but seemed like they prefer to loiter around at the bottom.

It was quite a fruitful trip considering that it was my first kayak fishing trip and without a fish finder. The battery that I bought for the fish finder was a faulty one, sianz... Next time, we will definitely return with a working fish finder and hopefully have more to show.














Total catch for the day

- Special report by QWT

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin